Sunday 3 November 2013

10 & 11 weeks post femoral head ostectomy surgery

11 weeks ago my 2 year old cat, Mo, randomly started limping and howling.  We brought him to the vet and found out he had fractured his femoral head.  He is now 11 weeks post femoral head ostectomy, and we couldn't be happier.

I haven't been updating this blog as Mo has been doing SO well with no problems!

 10 weeks post op, laying on his back and sleeping like he used to before surgery!


Playing (without any difficulty) with his best friend, Bill


 10 weeks post op- fur has grown back a lot! Can barely see where scar even was.  Just looks like he has a really bad haircut!


Playing with his toys!





If anyone would ask me if this surgery was worth it, I would say 100%.  I couldn't have imagined how quickly and painlessly he'd recover.  Do not hesitate to get this surgery!  It sounds terrifying, but the recovery is amazing.  He still limps, but seems to be improving every week.  When he runs really fast or sprints we can't even tell he has a limpy leg.

After 3 weeks I can say our cat was almost completely back to normal besides his limp.

I think the only reason his personality was different, wouldn't eat, and slept a lot initially was because of the pain patch!  I have seen some stories about cats who didn't get pain meds after the surgery, and if I could have done everything over again I would have definitely mentioned that to my vet. 

If anyone has any questions at all, feel free to post!  I was so curious and scared before my cat got surgery and during his initial few weeks of recovery.  I hope every cat who gets this surgery can recover as quickly and as well as Mo. 




4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing! I am I'm 2 years later but just had my fur baby hAve FHO 10 days ago. it seems like MO was free range the whole time? Daisy has been crated but I'm started to let her roam just was told no big leaps.... she's so playful it's hard to keep her calm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing! I am I'm 2 years later but just had my fur baby hAve FHO 10 days ago. it seems like MO was free range the whole time? Daisy has been crated but I'm started to let her roam just was told no big leaps.... she's so playful it's hard to keep her calm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mo was allowed (and encouraged) to walk and roam free! I'm sure every vet has different recovery protocols though :) Glad to hear Daisy is doing well post-op! :)

      Delete
  3. Hi my cat is about 18 months, he had this surgery 30 September so 2 1/2 months, he's really week on back legs, walks and runs ok with kittens but can't jump on bed or climb anymore, he's a gorgeous boy, I'm trying to exercise him with ham in the morning to use legs but only manages a few attempts, any advice please x

    ReplyDelete