Wednesday 21 August 2013

Day 2 Post Femoral Head Ostectomy (FHO) operation !

Day 2 Post-Op

Mo hasn't eaten or drank water since we've had him home.  He's been hiding in his playground all day and I don't think he's moved all day :(

I decided to hand feed him pieces of his food one by one, and he accepted it readily and ate happily.
His anti-inflammatory meds which are administered orally via a syringe were given today with NO problems- it was almost as if he enjoyed the taste!

Later on he still hadn't drank water, so I syringe administered him as much water as he would accept, which although was very little was enough to probably keep him at least hydrated for now.  In an hour I will give him more.




We called the vet and they told us we could take the bandage off his arm, which was where the IV was.  He's been grooming himself lots today and looks a BIT more normal, but still weird.

It worries me that he hasn't moved all day.  Tomorrow we will call the vet again and make sure this is OK for now.  Love my cat so much!

Update: 3:13 AM
 Came home from the gym to find Mo had moved about 10 feet over and UP onto the couch!!!! SOOOOOOOO HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  We also saw him jump up onto the back of the couch and use his leg a bit!  I am so excited right now and soooo happy for him!!!!





The vet bill came to $2100 total if anyone is wondering.  It was at an Ottawa Emergency pet hospital though, and that included three nights of staying over, 2 fentanyl patches, X-rays, surgery w/ IV anesthesia etc, and the Metacam anti-inflammatory meds.
\
Mo still doesn't seem to be drinking water or eating by himself, so I gave him a few more tiny syringes full of water just to be sure that he's at least a bit hydrated... might buy a bigger syringe tomorrow.  He even opens his mouth for it and doesn't seem to mind it!


 Lol he loves it I swear!



Still not looking fully like himself, but grooming himself all day.  Not licking the wound too much at all-  don't think he even notices it (maybe due to pain meds?)

When I pet him he purred at one point for a bit! YAYYYY! :)

Still haven't seen him have a bowel movement, or urinate :(  Hopefully he will soon!  The day I see him eating and drinking normally without me helping him I will probably cry tears of joy!

So far the progress seems great for day 2 post op!
Crossing my fingers that when we remove the fentanyl patch in 3 days that he doesn't feel any pain :(

4 comments:

  1. Nice outcome. I've been through it twice with great results in the end. He's lucky to have such great owners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twice ahhh! Did your one cat fracture both femoral heads??
      I am honestly so surprised the recovery from this surgery has been so flawless. I never could have imagined he'd be doing sooo well!

      And thank you, we love him so much!

      Delete
  2. Hello my cat had this surgery 2 days ago and your site has been helpful! Did you have to provide cold compresses and massage bin from day 1, this is proving impossible and I'm beginning to worry! !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just saw your comment now, so sorry! We didn't have to use cold compresses or massage or anything!
      Hope your cat is doing well!

      Mo is almost completely recovered, we can't even tell he had the surgery now! Just know things will get better for your poor kitty! :)

      Delete