Tuesday 27 August 2013

Day 8 Post FHO surgery

Today Mo went and got a check up at our vet and the vet said he looked great!
No fever, and his leg seemed to have a full range of motion.

He said he could see some muscle atrophy on the leg with the femoral head removal but that it was most likely because he hasn't been using it as often.  Once he starts walking on it more and more it will hopefully get stronger.

He also said that the other bone looked "grainy" and that there definitely was a risk of his other femoral head fracturing as well.  PRAYING HE DOESN'T NEED ANOTHER SURGERY!

He is doing well though, looking skinny but I'm not sure if he's always been like this and we just haven't noticed because he used to be so fluffy!

Getting better and better every day, I will update again in a week or so!



(some old pictures.. LOVE MY CATS)


5 comments:

  1. Okay, now that I've read some of your blog *doh* - does he just have weak/funky femurs??? I'm glad to read he's been doing so well!

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzanne!

      Yes, the vet never gave us a direct answer as to why he suddenly fractured his femoral head. They suggested that it might have something to do with weakness in his growth plates & that it might be genetic. :( Fingers crossed his other hip stays strong!

      Thank you! :) He's doing sooo well

      Delete
  2. Awww - poor thing - I am going through this as we'll with my one year old baby boy - they say that a male cat that has been neutered too young can fracture their femoral due to growing rapidly and having no testosterone. Anyway so glad to have found your blog - we are in day 7 and he hasn't eaten that much nor drank but mostly worried because he doesn't go to the bathroom nearly as much as he should - I tried the syringe but it's been hard enough getting his pill in him - did you have any worries about yours not going to the bathroom regularly? Of course now it's the weekend and I can't call them till tues and we had to travel for the holiday weekend and didn't want to leave him w anyone so I took him with me - I will be glad to get back to his environment 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg this was so great for me to read your cats aren't amazing my kitty is going through surgery tomorrow and just reading your post excited me and assured me she's gonna be okay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg I meant your cats are amazing*** so sorry

    ReplyDelete